On the corner of Hampton Street, the 1908 photo shows the original 'Shakespeare's Head' public house, at 1 Spring Street. This was rebuilt in its present form in 1935 as part of the Mitre House development in Western Road. Both Mitre House and the Shakespeare's Head are currently undergoing comprehensive redevelopment. On the opposite corner is 9 Hampton Street which later became a branch of Forfars. Further up the west side of Spring Street, no.2 was occupied by chimney sweeps Graves & Son for most of the first half of the 20th C. In 1932 no.3 was converted to a newsagent, confectioner, tobacconist, 'Ives' and remained so until 1960. Beyond no.4 the properties 5 to 11 were owned by the catholic church St. Mary Magdalene, the presbytery of which can be see at the top of the street. These were demolished some time in the second half of the century as part of a school development. Some of them were later rebuilt to modern standards but in fairly sympathetic style.
On the opposite side of Spring Street (east) many properties were adapted to commercial use throughout the 20th C. including; a greengrocer, tailor, cycle shop, hairdresser, cafe, watchmaker and dairy. The last can be made out in the 1908 photo called 'Gearings Dairy'. It later became 'Jenkins Dairies'